Well, I skipped more than a month of
writings given some reasons and extreme mood-swings in these last several of months.
But now I'm back! And nothing will matter, right? Hohohoho...
So, what I'm gonna write is
something that happened like exactly a month ago, on a cold windy day of May 1st, 2014. I've tried to write this
as soon as it happened but again, there're things I couldn't explain (say the
last one with a husky and whispery voice!). Anyway, it'll be a really long
story. Keep reading!
Here we go.
The story began with my huge
undeniable desire to make a visit to an aquarium, including a short one day
trip in a city I've never been in. Why aquarium? I don't know, I just really
want to see some nature and fish and animals, not to mention, I actually really
want to visit a zoo too. This weird feeling of "I must go there" were even bigger as I got some discount
vouchers for an aquarium-visit.
So I made plans.
The nearest upcoming holiday was
May 1st. Of course, some smart people will know why exactly May 1st is a holiday. But this dumb girl (a.k.a. me) didn't care about why people don't go to
school or work on May 1st, all I see and care about was that it's a holiday!
For the whole nation, for the whole word! And it's just several days away and
it's probably the last holiday I could enjoy without being chased by those
horrible deadlines.
Then I asked some friends in
Lübeck and surroundings to come too and they responded very positively. There
was a little debate on when we should be better going, May 1st or May 2nd. It
was decided that we'll go on May 1st because the weather report said it'll
warmer and sunnier (which was in fact NOT warm and sunny enough) and my
short-patience didn't allow me to wait for another day.
Long story short, on an early
morning of May 1st, the three of us rode the train from Lübeck to Stralsund, where
Ozeaneum, let say, the biggest
aquarium in the area, is. We're planning to meet the other six (who come from
Wismar) on the entrance of Ozeaneum. Our plan for the day was masive and
supposedly to be a real fun. Supposedly...
After, I think, a short hour on
the train, we had to make a quick transfer in Bad Kleinen, a really small Dorf (what is Dorf in english? Village,
maybe...) with a really small station. We're waiting for the next train to
Rostock (where we had to make another quick change before finally reached
Stralsund) and there they come, a group of people: mostly men, skinn-headed (almost all of them), wearing blacks (all of
them). For the foreigners like me, it means just one thing: they're Neo-Nazis! NN works together with die Rechte: a german political party,
who supports NN's movements and denies, that Holocaust ever happened. They hate
capitalism and liberalism, which they accused to be the reasons on why many
germans now can't find job easily and so on. In short, they believe that all
source of Germany should be taken care and benefited by germans and ONLY
germans.
But wait, in my 2 years
experience living in Germany, I've seen some people wearing black and
skinn-headed and it doesn't mean they're those NNs. So I tried to conceal my
suspicions and throw my attention to some other places. Minutes went by, more suspected-to-be-NNs-men
coming, and I couldn't resist the feeling of being looked at. In some way,
we're a bit out of place: we're the only asians, wearing very colorful clothes
(I wore a bright red wind-breaker, one friend wore a neon yellow, also, a wind
breaker and the other one wore maroon) among a sea of people wearing black sweatshirts.
Those people were looked really fierce, I saw some of them peek on us and then
whispered something to their friends. I felt uncomfortable.
"I think they're palbot," said one of my friend, who
wore neon yellow. Palbot is an invented
name for NN, which is used only among
indonesians. The purpose is so that we could talk about it more freely. I think
the name "Nazi" in some way similar to Voldemort, whose name most people
prefer not to say directly, instead the use You
Know Who.
"I think you're right,"
I replied. I tried to read what's written on their sweatshirts and banners (oh
yeah, they brought banners too!) by stealing glances over my friend's shoulder.
What I read confirmed almost immediately our suspicions.
"No, it's not I think. They ARE palbot," I said and
became more uneasy and more uncomfortable. The sweatshirts they wore had some
sort of symbol, which I recognize to be a modified swastika. The words and
sentences on their banners were not
very friendly either. I wish the train would come soon... At this time, there
were like about twenty or more people in black.
FYI, NNs don't like foreigners
and they do violence. Just... a little further information, in case you don't
get it, why I became uneasy. And, oh yeah,
we're foreigners: I AM foreigner.
Then came a group of police in
the station, who also wore black. Now, there were as many police as the NNs on
the site. Ok, at least there're police around. Finally, the train came and we
decided to wait and enter lastly, after we make sure which cart the NNs went
in. Some policemen stood by the cart entrances. When we entered one of the
cart, a policeman directed us to go to the front side of the train, he blocked
the other way. So we did what we told and the trip continued, peacefully,
without any sights of NNs in our cart.
After another hour, we arrived at
Rostock's Central Station and what we saw, didn't very helping: there're more
and more people wearing blacks, brought banners and standing in groups. And
more police also. The station was crowded because of the sea of people in black, included
the police. We rushed to the platform, where our next train to Stralsund
supposed to be. The train was already
there and there were people, normal
passengers, standing in line, waiting to enter the train: among them were our
six friends from Wismar. It turns out that they had to change train in Rostock
too. Also, we boarded the same train from Rostock to Stralsund and the-now-nine
of us spent another hour in train. The train was full of people and just like
the train in Bad Kleinen, there were police guarding in some spots, directing
other passengers. So I assumed, in some carts in this train were also NNs. The
police separated the NNs and the normal passengers, that's why our cart was
full but no one seemed to be part of NNs (they're looked friendlier and less-scary).
Finally, we reached Stralsund.
The day was a bit cold for May: the wind was strong and grey clouds covered the
sun repeatedly, which made it colder. The weather report last few days was
proved to be not accurate, because the day was not warm. It was even raining a
bit.
We spent a good two-three hours
in Ozeaneum, had lunch and, after a quite long and slow discussion on what we're
going to do next, we decided to visit Rostock on the way home and do some
sight-seeing. But because it's a holiday, the train didn't work as often as
usual day. We had to wait another some hours in order to get the next train to
Rostock. Stralsund Central Station is small and not so interesting (just like
Lübeck's), in addition on holiday some shops were closed. We then went by the
riverbank near the station to spent time and found a small playground. That afternoon
was, finally, quite warm. We gathered on the playground and chatted until the
time was come for us to walked back to the station and continue our trip.
Another hour on train to Rostock
was spent quite silently. Most of us fell a sleep and the rest chose to be
occupied by their phones or the beautiful scenery from the window. We sat on
the first cart, directly behind the machinist. The cart was empty and we sat like
the real owner of the cart but on the midway, entered some other passengers and
we continued to ride the train in silence.
Until, which I think, the last
station before Rostock, the train stopped to allow passengers get in or off the
train but the train's not moving for a longer time than on other previous stations.
An officer, who checked our tickets, came out of the small room in front and
said, "If you, please, look out the window, there are all black. But don't worry there're also
police," or something like that. Then I turned my head and looked out the
window: there are NNs, everywhere. In
an even bigger group and guarded by similar amount of police. My heart raced and
my hands went a bit cold. The fear and uneasiness had come back. Even the
germans, normal germans, in our cart
seemed uneasy. I heard some of them swore out of worries.
It took sometime for all of them
to enter the train and when the train finally continued its journey, I saw the
small room between our cart and the next cart full and guarded with police and
I knew, just behind the police's barricades there're full of NNs. Not a good
feeling I had, if I may emphasize...
The train arrived at Rostock and
we're welcomed by some shouting on the platform. The NNs in our train got off
first, which made us had to wait and stayed longer on the train. I saw a bigger group of people wearing blacks on
the platform and I saw the NNs from our train joining them and they began to
yell as soon as their feet on the platform, off the train. I couldn't really
understand what they're shouting about but a large group of people on the other
side of the platform were also shouting at, I think, the NNs who were just
getting off our train and now standing on our side of the platform. Between the
NNs and the people on the other side was a thick line of police, not just in
black, but also in military-green uniform, which I assumed were prepared for
much more serious problem.
Ok. So now there are two enormous
groups of people, both wearing blacks, standing on each side of the platform, divided
by a strong line of complete weaponed officers, and shouting at each other in the
most unfriendly way. What was really
happening?
The train officer, who warned us
before, came out again and looked more uneasy. My friend threw him the
question, "What is really happening?" The shouting got louder and
they seemed to sing some kind of chants in a very scary way. Now I could hear
some of the words they shouted: "Hau
ab! Hau ab! Hau ab!" For the records, hau ab comes from abhauen,
which means "to bugger of" (a bit of german language lesson never
hurts). So, I think it's not friendly or nice.
"Today is May 1st, the
International Worker's Day. Many people do demonstration and when die Linke and die Rechte meet each other, they fight," the officers explain
shortly and rushed to the door to talk with a policeman. I got it now. There're
two groups on the platform and although both of them wearing blacks, they're
not from the same side. I've explained before about die Rechte and to make it simple, die Linke is the total opposite of die Rechte: they value capitalism and liberalism.
There were still shouting and
yelling and chanting outside on the platform. Nobody in our cart had got off
the train. We looked outside from the window uneasily and full of worries. The
NNs moved forward while shouting anything they shouted and yelled, leaving the
cart door empty. Slowly, other people in the train get off with cautious-look
in their eyes. We too decided to get off and once we're on the platform,
standing in group, we didn't know what to do next.
The platform was long and full of
people and police. We turn or head around, trying to find a sign to the exit
way of the station. We clearly want to get out of this station as soon as
possible. There're an uproar in the middle of platform, more shouting and the
people in black -from both parties- moved in sudden towards each other
direction, still shouting and yelling. They looked angry. They shouted from the
very deep of their throats. The officers now formed a tighter and thicker wall
between the two parties, tried to keep them divided. The shouting and yelling
were not uniform and well-practiced anymore, they just shouted at each other
angrily.
We're stunned and stop moving.
Most people from our train, who just get off, stood by near the same train,
hesitated to move forward, where the tumult was. Suddenly, there was a loud
voice, yelling, from our right side and I felt something thrown and landed near
our feet. People around us screamed and the police rushed to the source of the
loud voice. We're pushed back to the same train we just got off, while the
people rushed back to the train and used it as a secure shelter.
"I think we should go home.
I think we should just go to Lübeck," I said to my friend. My hands were
cold and I trembled in fear. I could hear people said: It's a rock. It's a big rock they're throwing at us!!. Well, so
there WAS something thrown at us. From the opened door, I saw the uproar went
wilder and the police rushed everywhere. They tried to control and calm down
the angry people.
"I know. I'm checking the
next train to Lübeck," he answered and I saw him busy with his phone,
checking the train connection. Sight-seeing in Rostock? Nope, thank you. I just
wanted to go home.
"We need to go to the Platform
One. There'll be a train to Lübeck in ten minutes!" He said after a while.
I stretched my neck trying to see the surroundings from the opened door and
found out where Platform One is. Shit!
Platform One was on the other side, which means, we had to walked through the
uproar. I went panic. How could we go
across the station full of angry people?
A nice man, he stood by the door,
might saw our fear and cautious looks. He offered help and asked where we
wanted to go. I answered, still trembling, "We need to go to the Platform
One. We want to go to Lübeck." He then talked with the train officer and
explain it. The train officer then talk with the army guy, asked whether he
could accompany us across the station. Unfortunately, he seemed not able to
leave his post and accompany us. Confuse and full of fear, we might have to
ride the train back to Stralsund, if we're not able to leave this shelter-train
as soon as possible. And if we're back to Stralsund, only God knows when we'll
be able to go home.
In minutes, the station seemed
more quiet and the uproar is over. The police have succeded to end the chaos.
There were still people with angry faces wandering around across the station,
but the crowd had been scattered and not so tight anymore. We officially had passed
the train to Lübeck. The officer came in again and talk to us, "You could
wait there (he pointed out the empty space on the right side of the platform)
and take your train after the situation is better." We thanked him and get
off the train again, to the place he pointed. I saw a crack on the front window of the train, where another thrown rock probably landed. As we walked, a policeman called
us and told us not to move and stay where we were. More confuse, we saw the
train had moved back to Stralsund, leaving the railway empty. I saw a man being
caught on the other platform behind us.
Well, now we're stranded in Rostock,
all nine of us. We're looking around, trying to find a way out, and there it
is: on the platform where die Linke
was, was a train to Hamburg. Hamburg is only forty-five minutes away from
Lübeck! With a new hope in heart, we saw a policeman came toward us. He asked
us where we wanted to go and we said Hamburg. He then accompanied us to the
train on the other side and showed us the entrance. But before we could enter
the train, a policewoman stopped us and, again, asked where were we going. The
policeman explained to her and said that we could board the train behind her.
"No, you should wait there,"
she said and pointed out a space between the pillars, where, as I saw, some
other passengers were, also waiting to be able to board the train. My heart
sank but my feet obeyed her and we walked to the pointed place. I think, the
police wanted to make everything 100% sure and safe before letting people board
the train. It's good but it takes time and I just really want to go home.
Fortunately, not long after, we're allowed to enter the train to Hamburg.
The train was almost full but we
could find seats. There were some people of die
Linke on the front seats and they asked my friend about our destination. It
turns out they also wanted to go to Lübeck, so they offered us help and told us
to just follow them and stay close to them. Relieved that some people were
ready to help us, we're now able to discuss the current incidents and starting
to check the last train from Hamburg to Lübeck, because we're definitely going
to arrive really late.
The train began to move slowly, a
woman who sat in front (she's one of die Linke)
hit the window hard and showed the middle finger provokely to the NNs outside. Why did she do that? Can't we just go
home peacefully? I desperately want to leave this place. But then suddenly
the train stop moving, we hadn't even leave the platform. The door were
re-opened and some policemen got in. All the people in the train were confuse. What's happening now? An announcement
was heard from the loud-speakers in the train, the train was canceled and will
board for the next schedule, which was two hours later, and WILL not reach Hamburg
but directly to its endstation, Schwerin. My heart dropped to the stomach. I just want to go home.
It turns out that someone in the
train had pulled the emergeny brake and according to the regulation everyone
had to leave the train, while the officers checked the whole train thouroughly. We
stayed in the train and I think the police too thought, that it'd be safer for
people to stay on the train. It's obviously just some unresponsible act of the
demonstration's participants. Some passengers complained and get off the train,
trying to find another punctual train to their destinations. After some
minutes, more people get off the train just to get some fresh air. We remain to
stay inside. One of die Linke came to
us and explained how we're going to reach Lübeck: we need to change train in
Bad Kleinen, from where a train to Lübeck would be. The problem was, Bad
Kleinen was in die Rechte's
territory, so there might be another chaos waiting for us in Bad Kleinen. As
for Lübeck, we'd be completely safe when we got there (Just another reason to
love Lübeck more, isn't it?).
Hours of waiting went by and we
always put an eye to die Linke's
people because they had guaranteed our safety, as long as we stayed close. The
six who come from Wismar decided to get in the other train directly to Wismar.
After asking the police, they finally got in the train to Wismar (it was on the
other platform) safely and guarded by the police. Finally, the train moved and
this time it didn't stop. The police stood by in the small space between the
carts and guarded. We were told to only walk around the first two carts and I
knew again, behind those barricades they're all die Rechte. The fact that we're on the same train with an enormous
group of people who hate us, gave a really not-nice feeling. Really.
Long story short, we've reached
Bad Kleinen and get off the train following the police instructions. The
station was empty and its surroundings were dark. All the people from the first
two carts get off and wait in line by the train, they didn't move to the next
platform where a train to Lübeck waiting. Our train moved again and as the
later carts passed by, I saw it filled with NNs. It was really scary.
The-now-three of us standing among the crowd with black jacket. I realized
there were four or five other people who weren't with die Linke. There're just normal people like us. I thought we'll
move as soon as everybody get off the train but it's not. After some other
provocative actions through the window as the train went by and showed its rest
of passengers inside (some middle fingers, bangs on the window, and yelling), die Linke started to chant and yell
their motto (something about stopping facism). They kept yelling and chanting
while rushing across the station, to the train that would bring us to Lübeck.
Finally, we're on board. The
train moved to Lübeck, everyone seemed not so tense anymore. After another good
hour, we arrived at Lübeck at almost midnight. Fortunately, I was still able to
catch the last bus and went home.
That day was a very long day.
Thanks God, I reach home sound
and safe. Thanks for this unexpected, incredible adventure and lessons and
experience. :)
Moral of the story: Never EVER go
traveling on May 1st, especially when you want to visit the East side of
Germany (which known as NNs' domain), and anywhere in the world will have big
demonstrations on this very International Worker's Day, so I think it's best to
just stay at home.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen